My 5 favorite cameras for street photography
Picking a camera for street photography has never been more fun. With so many great cameras, coming in at very reasonable prices, it’s really amazing.
There are 5 street photography cameras that stand out to me:
Cameras used by modern street photographers in 2019
- The Fujifilm X-T3 (I love this one + amazing for video too)
- The Sony A7 III (If you have the budget + does great video too)
- Leica Q (If you are loaded)
- Fuji X100f (Great colors)
- Ricoh GR II (Most affordable)
Pick the new Fujifilm X-T3 if you:
(my favorite, by far)
Read my full review of the X-T3.
- Want to change lenses.
- Want improved dynamic range and better ISO.
- Record video in 4k 60 fps, 10bit.
- Film 120fps.
- You want the fastest autofocus and low-light performance.
Get the brand new XT-3 on Amazon.
It’s the best camera I’ve owned, hands down.
#2 Sony a7 III Full-Frame
This camera from Sony can do anything. Seriously. The Sony a7 iii is probably the best value-for-money camera that came out in 2019.
It’s used by some of the most popular photographers of today.
#3 The Fujifilm X100f
- Want good image quality.
- If you are okay with a fixed lens.
- Shoot in the evenings and nights. It performs good a high ISO.
- If you don’t care about it not fitting in your pocket.
Pick the Ricoh GR II Digital (black) if you
- Want the camera to fit in your pocket.
- If it’s your first street photography camera.
Get the Ricoh GR II on Amazon.
Let me spare you some time, and just forward you to the two crazy positive reviews on Amazon of my two favorite cameras for street photography:
My two favorite cameras for street photography
- The amazing Fujifilm x100f.
(See my Fujifilm x100f photos)
- And the small pocketable Ricoh GR II.
(See my Ricoh GR II Photos)
Click the links above.
Read the reviews. Pick the one within your budget. Start shooting.
What makes these two cameras great for street photography?
I have featured both of these digital compact cameras in my ‘Best Travel Cameras article‘ too, because of the image quality and lightweight.
The Fujix100f is a mirrorless camera and the Ricoh GR II is Large sensor compact camera. Both of them are undeniably two of the best digital cameras for street photography.
I own both of them and if you want to see some photos I took with those cameras go here: Fujix100f Photos & Review (the updated version of the Fujifilm X100T) & Ricoh GR II Photos & Review. Both cameras are small, lightweight compact digital cameras with a non-interchangeable / fixed lens. Also, if you are into Fuji, make sure to check out my favorite Fuji lenses.
When choosing your camera for street photography it comes down to this:
- Weight: You don’t want a heavy camera on the streets. The Fuji x100f is a little bit heavier than the Ricoh GR 2
- Size – small is best: The Ricoh GR has amazing quality in photos – and can fit in your pocket!
- Image Quality & IQ: Here the Fuji x100f outperform the Ricoh.
- Also, it is worth mentioning that Ricoh GR III will be released sometime in 2019.
What about the other camera brands?
Just because I really like the Fujifilm and Ricoh, doesn’t mean that’s the right choice for you.
A lot of people swear the Leica, Nikon, Sony & Canon and if you are one of them, here are the cameras I would go for if I were you:
My pick for a Nikon street photography camera
Nikon D750 DSLR Camera. I normally wouldn’t think of a DSLR camera for street photography, but I have some friends who really love this camera.
Read the reviews of the Nikon D750 on Amazon.
My pick for a street photography camera from Canon
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera
If I were to go with a Leica camera for street photography
I’d go with the legendary Leica M Digital Rangefinder Camera.
The Leica M makes sense if money really, REALLY isn’t a problem for you.
Leica Max 24 MP Sensor for maximum imaging quality with a 3.0″ LCD screen that gives you a live view capability.
Read the reviews of the Leica M on Amazon.
If I were to go with a Sony camera for street photography:
The Soxy Cyber-shot DSC-RX 100 V, what’s up with this name by the way?
It’s a cool, small and affordable camera that would work great for street portraits and street photography. Read the reviews of the Sony Camera on Amazon.
Also, remember gear addiction is a real thing.
For street photography, you don’t need a crazy expensive body and camera-lens.
I also wrote a little bit about my favorite small cameras of 2019 and the fun Instax polaroid cameras and where to buy your camera and if you are into wedding photography cameras or landscape photography – I got you covered as well.
If you want to take better street photography, it might be better to look into getting books about photography, than buying a new camera.