Every year the there is an award for the world’s best press photos. And this year, a Spanish site collected that data of which camera brands and camera models, were used by winners of world press photo 2018. So if you are an aspiring press photographer, documentary photographer or photojournalist, this list might help you find your next camera.
The four most used cameras by award-winning press photographers:
Coming in at a shared first place, with two others, of the most popular cameras by award-winning press photographers is the famous Nikon D5. Not really a surprise to me. It’s an excellent camera and it has been on my wishlist for some time. Just reading the crazy positive Amazon reviews makes me want to order it right away! On the list of my dream-cameras, this is surely up there.
Coming in at number two is another Nikon, the Digital SLR Nikon D810. This is a bit cheaper than the Nikon D6 – almost half the price and has an incredible performance too. The Nikon 810 has an ISO range of 64 to 12800.
The classic canon EOS 5D Mark 3 shares the top spot with the two Nikon Cameras. This camera shouldn’t need an introduction but it has 22.3 megapixels Full Frame CMOS. For recording and filming it goes to 1080p Full HD Video Mode. For the Canon EOS 5D Mark 3 Digital SLR Camera (Body). Of the three most popular DSLRs from the press photo award 2018, this Canon DSLR camera is the cheapest.
On a 4th place, we have yet another Nikon. Nikon really dominates in the press photography and photojournalist space. More than 50% of all the cameras used by the winners of the (WPP) World Press Photo Award in 2018, where shot with a DSLR from Nikon. It’s incredible. This Nikon D800E is one of the cheaper cameras, compared to others. It’s Find it on Amazon.
This is an infographic of the brands that were represented the most: Nikon and Canon really dominate the charts of most popular cameras used by press photographers and photojournalist.
The complete list of photojournalist cameras
- The Nikon 5D was used by 11 of the 72 photographers, making it the most popular Read the crazy positive reviews of the Nikon D5.
- The Nikon D810 was also used also used by 11 of the 72 photographers. Reviews of the Nikon D810
- And the Canon EOS 5D Mark II was also used by 11 photographers. Link to reviews of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- 7 of the 72 press journalists used the Nikon D800E. Read the reviews of the Nikon D800E
- 7 of the 72 press journalists used the Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- 6 of the 72 photojournalists used the Nikon D4S Nikon D4s
- 6 of the 72 press photographers used the Nikon D700 Nikon D700
- 5 of the 72 photographers used the Canon EOS 5D Mark 3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II
- 4 out of the 72 photographers used the Nikon D4 Nikon D4
- 4 of the 72 photographers shot with the Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 6D
- 4 of the 72 press photographers shoot with the Sony A7R 2 Sony A7R II
- 3 press photographers shot with the Fuji x100s Maybe the Fuji x100f will be on the list next year? Fujifilm x100s
- 2 of the 72 photographers shot with Fujifilm x-t1. There is a new model called t-2 now
- 2 of the photographers used the Canon EOS 1DX Mark 2. Canon EOS 1DX Mark II
- 2 of the documentary photographers shot with a Nikon DF Nikon DF
- 2 of the documentary photographers took their photos with the legendary Leica M10. Leica M10
- The rest of the DSLR cameras on this list was used by 1 photographer:
- Nikon D500: Read the reviews here: Nikon D500
- Nikon D800: Read what other people say about the Nikon D800
- Nikon D850: Read what other people say about the Nikon D850
- Sony A6000: One of the cheapest on the list. See reviews Sony A6000
- And last but not least the Leica SL. Read the reviews Leica SL.
That’s it. The complete list of the best cameras for press photography.
What camera are brands missing?
So if you are a photo editor, an aspiring documentary photographer or photojournalist, this is the list you should give Santa Claus :). All of the cameras above are usually light, perform really well at low and high ISO and has incredibly fast shutter and autofocus. That’s what makes a great camera for documentary and journalism. And of course crazy image quality and lens.
If you are interested in finding your next small but great camera for street photography or travel photography. It’s here and I’d recommend buying your cameras online. It’s nice to read the reviews before buying.
Read my post about getting press as a photography.